ROME, 15 October 2014: An urgent call for prayer worldwide for the Synod on the Family is being made by a Latvian archbishop.
Archbishop Zbignev Stankevics, the archbishop of Riga, the capital of Latvia, is making an urgent call for prayer for the outcome of the Family Synod. The Archbishop, who is participating in the Synod, made his call last night in comments to the Voice of the Family team in Rome, an international coalition of pro-family groups which upholds Catholic doctrine on marriage, family and human sexuality.
Maria Madise, Voice of the Family’s coordinator from Latvia’s neighbour Estonia, said: “In our general conversation with Archbishop Stankevics he underlined the urgency of prayer for the Synod. He said that he was now offering all his Masses exclusively for a good outcome for the Synod. The archbishop emphasised how in particularly difficult situations it was helpful to pray to the Holy Souls in Purgatory for their intercession.”
Archbishop Stankevičs has also called for the Synod to take a strong stand in defence of Catholic sexual ethics and to avoid diluting the Church’s message in order to appease Her critics. See his comments in interviews with:
- Vatican Radio (reported by the Polish Bishops’ Conference in Polish and in turn reported in English by Witness for Church and Pope)
- LifeSiteNews.com: ‘Homosexual relationships are destroying our human identity’
The staff of Voice of the Family have taken Archbishop Stankevičs’s call to heart and are praying in turns before the Blessed Sacrament in the chapel of the Salvatorian Motherhouse in Rome, their operational base in Rome during the Synod, which ends this Sunday.
Voice of the Family recommends the following traditional Catholic prayer for bishops:
“O God, who hast appointed Thine only-begotten Son to be the eternal High Priest for the glory of Thy Majesty and the salvation of mankind; grant that they whom He hath chosen to be His ministers and the stewards of His mysteries, may be found faithful in the fulfillment of the ministry which they have received. Through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen.”
Voice of the Family also recommends that families pray for themselves during the Synod, saying the following traditional Catholic prayer to the Holy Ghost:
“O eternal Spirit of Love, Bond of unity in the Holy Trinity, preserve love, unity and peace in our home. Make of it a faithful reproduction of the Holy House of Nazareth, upon which Thou didst look with such kindness. Bind us all together, not merely by worldly ties, but by the golden bonds of charity, prayer, and mutual service. By the gift of piety, help us to forgive and forget the little grievances which the events of life and diversity of character may foster among us. Whatsoever duty may call us, let us never bring dishonor upon our home and family. Ward off from our home the spirit of pride, irreligion and worldliness. Allow not the lax principles and perverse maxims of the world to take root among us. Teach us to love and respect that Christian modesty which reigned supreme in the Holy Family. As by Thy help we live in unity here below, give us, we beseech Thee, the grace of final perseverance, that together we may praise Thee and love Thee through a happy eternity. Amen.”
About Voice of the Family:
Voice of the Family can be contacted by email to email@example.com or by telephone on +39 33 833 09443 (Italian mobile) or +44 (0)20 7820 3148 (UK landline)
Follow Voice of the Family via:
Voice of the Family is an international lay coalition of major pro-life and pro-family organizations that has formed to offer expertise and resources to leaders of the church, the media, NGOs, and governments before, during, and after the Catholic Church’s Synod on the Family. The Synod will be held from October 5 to 19 in Rome.
Voice of the Family consists of 18 member organizations from nine nations on five continents. Members include:
- Alfa Szövetség/Alpha Alliance
- Campagne Québec-Vie
- Campaign Life Catholics
- Campaign Life Coalition Canada
- Catholic Democrats
- Catholic Voice
- Culture of Life Africa
- European Life Network
- Famiglia Domani
- Family Life International NZ
- Hnutí Pro život ČR
- Human Life International (HLI)
- Liga pár páru ČR
- National Association of Catholic Families (NACF)
- Profesionales por la Ética
- Society for the Protection of Unborn Children (SPUC)
The following truths are at the heart of Voice of the Family’s work:
- Sacramental marriage, binding parents together in an indissoluble union, is the greatest protector of children both born and unborn.
- The artificial separation of the unitive and procreative dimensions of the sexual act is a major catalyst of the culture of death.
- Parents are the primary educators of their children and it is through the education and formation of parents, and future parents, that the culture of life will be built.
Voice of the Family has published a position paper for the Synod which in summary says:
- The Extraordinary Synod on the Family has been called to respond to the “widespread cultural, social and spiritual crisis”, which threatens the family today.
- The Synod provides an important opportunity to take concrete steps to address this crisis and give renewed impetus to the “New Evangelisation”.
- If the Synod is to be effective it is essential that the teaching of the Church is affirmed clearly and without ambiguity.
- All proposals which result from the Synod must be founded on the truths of the natural moral law and Divine Revelation.
Our position paper can also be read in: