Cardinal Marx parrots Archbishop Forte’s party line for the Synod
17 October 2014
Cardinal Reinhard Marx, the president of the German bishops’ conference, today parroted the pro-homosexual party line inserted by Archbishop Bruno Forte into the Synod’s relatio, or mid-way report. This party line has been repeated – with uncanny similarity – in the daily press briefings at the Vatican Press Office , notably by Cardinal Christoph Schönborn and Archbishop Fisichella. According to reporters at today’s daily briefing, Cardinal Marx:
- affirmed “value” in “faithful”, “long-term, caring same-sex relationships”, distinguishing them from “someone who changes partners every day”
- asserted that “we cannot say all or nothing, relationships are so varied, we must find what is good, there are many ways to holy marriage”
- argued that “we should find a different language, not one of black and white, human problems are much more complex”
- said that “Saying that the doctrine will never change … is a restrictive view of things.”
In response, Voice of the Family says:
- there cannot be “value” in living in sin, such as relationships based upon homosexuality, which is intrinsically disordered
- cohabitation is neither a morally legitimate nor an effective precursor to marriage. For example, it is well-known that divorce rates are higher among couples who cohabit before marriage
- the Church already has a rich language for pastoral care in response to human problems. It can be found, in black-and-white, in Familaris Consortio, the Letter on the Pastoral Care of Homosexual Persons, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, etc.
- Pope St Pius X required all clergy to swear that: “I sincerely hold that the doctrine of faith was handed down to us from the apostles through the orthodox Fathers in exactly the same meaning and always in the same purport. Therefore, I entirely reject the heretical misrepresentation that dogmas evolve and change from one meaning to another different from the one which the Church held previously.”
Cardinal Marx claimed that, not only do most German bishops support the Kasper proposal (Holy Communion for Catholics in invalid second unions), but most German Catholics too. He said that “we cannot choose our faithful”. In response, Voice of the Family says that the faithful should not be confirmed in their errors, but led by their bishops to understand and love the Church’s doctrine-based discipline regarded the worthy reception of the Lord’s Body.
About Voice of the Family:
Voice of the Family can be contacted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on +39 33 833 09443 (Italian mobile) or +44 (0)20 7820 3148 (UK landline)
Follow Voice of the Family via:
Voice of the Family is an international lay coalition of major pro-life and pro-family organizations that has formed to offer expertise and resources to leaders of the church, the media, NGOs, and governments before, during, and after the Catholic Church’s Synod on the Family. The Synod will end on 19 October.