Synod on the Family: potential for great hope or risk for Church and the world, says coalition
2 October 2014
ROME, 2 October 2014: The Extraordinary Synod on the Family risks confusing Catholics and non-Catholics worldwide on Catholic teaching on sexuality, family, and life — but it’s also a chance for renewed leadership and hope for the Catholic Church, says a growing coalition of pro-family organizations.
“What we really need now is a robust affirmation and proclamation of Church teaching on life, family and sexuality as a benefit to all mankind,” said John-Henry Westen.
“Any confusion on Church views regarding marriage, contraception, or the role of parents will further undermine the world’s already damaged view on life and family,” added Westen, who is the North American spokesperson for the Voice of the Family coalition https://voiceofthefamily.com
“The importance for the Extraordinary Synod to reaffirm parents as the primary educators of their children cannot be underestimated,” said British co-founder and spokesman John Smeaton, chief executive of the Society for the Protection of Unborn Children (SPUC) www.spuc.org.uk “Research from the United Kingdom shows that children conceived outside of marriage are 4-5 times more likely to be aborted than those conceived within marriage.”
Voice of the Family coordinator Maria Madise emphasized that “the contraceptive mentality that separates love from life has acted as a major catalyst for the culture of death.” She added that “studies demonstrate that the use of contraception does not reduce the abortion rate, quite the contrary.”
“The key to rebuilding the culture of life is rooted in reviving openness to life – to accepting the gift of children,” she concluded.
Culture of Life Africa’s Obianuju Ekeocha, who is the Voice of the Family’s African spokesperson, said “the family is the center of life in Africa.”
“Africans are hopeful that the resulting fruits of the Extraordinary Synod will strengthen, support and encourage family life around the world,” she added, “It will have profound consequences for the family in the years to come.”
Related releases/commentary from Voice of the Family:
- Synod: strong lead by Cardinals Burke and Muller hailed by pro-family coalition
- Synod must affirm Church teaching “without ambiguity”, says pro-family group
- The Synod must be a source of clarity, not confusion
Voice of the Family is an international lay coalition of major pro-life and pro-family organizations that formed to offer expertise and resources to leaders of the church, the media, NGOs, and governments before, during, and after the Catholic Church’s Synod on the Family. The Synod will be held from October 5 to 19 in Rome.
Voice of the Family members include:
- Campaign Life Catholics
- Campaign Life Coalition Canada
- Catholic Voice
- Culture of Life Africa
- European Life Network
- Hnutí Pro život ČR
- Human Life International (HLI)
- National Association of Catholic Families (NACF)
- Profesionales por la Ética
- Society for the Protection of Unborn Children (SPUC)
Its principles state that:
- Sacramental marriage, binding parents together in an indissoluble union, is the greatest protector of children both born and unborn.
- The artificial separation of the unitive and procreative dimensions of the sexual act is a major catalyst of the culture of death.
- Parents are the primary educators of their children and it is through the education and formation of parents, and future parents, that the culture of life will be built.
Voice of the Family can be contacted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on +39 33 833 09443 (Italian mobile) or +44 (0)20 7820 3148 (UK landline)
Follow Voice of the Family via: