Cardinal Schönborn adds to chaotic Synod’s confusion on morality
16 October 2014
ROME, 16 October 2014: Cardinal Christoph Schönborn, the archbishop of Vienna, today added further confusion to the already chaotic Synod on the Family in Rome.
Voice of the Family, an international coalition of pro-family groups, made the analysis following the Cardinal’s comments today from the Vatican Press Office.
According to Vatican correspondents following today’s Vatican press briefing on the Synod, Cardinal Christoph Schönborn said that people should see positive elements in morally defective relationships. He showered praise upon a homosexual couple he knew, referring to them as “marvellous” and the care of one partner for the other as “saintly”. The cardinal that the Church “shouldn’t look into the bedroom, but the living room of a family”. He seemed to call for the experiences of cohabitees to be listened to just as much as those of married couples. He also called for the Church to move beyond the language of the 1992 Catechism of the Catholic Church, which he himself edited.
Maria Madise, Voice of the Family’s coordinator, commented: “Cardinal Schönborn’s reported comments simply add the confusion of what is already a chaotic Synod. Scores of bishops in the Synod are already exasperated by the scandal of the relatio, or mid-way report, released on Monday. It is disappointing that Cardinal Schönborn seems to be promoting the relatio‘s doctrinal errors, which do not reflect the consensus among the Synod Fathers. It has been alleged that the relatio‘s content and publication was manipulated by Archbishop Bruno Forte, an extreme liberal theologian, thus abusing his position as the Synod’s Special Secretary.”
Miss Madise added: “A growing number of commentators are referring to the Synod as both ‘engineered’ and a ‘shambles’. This is not a contradiction – it is the arbitrary manipulation of the Synod by unorthodox individuals which has caused division inside the Synod and confusion outside it. This is why we reiterate Cardinal Raymond Burke’s strong call to Pope Francis to make a clear statement reaffirming on Catholic sexual ethics, as explained in the 1992 Catechism, the 1986 Letter on the Pastoral Care of Homosexual Persons and in Humanae Vitae.”
Notes for Editors:
Here are a selection of articles which report confusion and/or allege manipulation within the Synod:
- “AP confirms: “Outed” Forte exclusively responsible for “Gayspel”, only ONE Father had even mentioned issue in Synod Hall“, Rorate Caeli, 16 October 2014
- “An Extraordinary Synod – in more ways than one“, Fr Vincent Twomey, Catholic World Report, 15 October 2014
- English translation of “Un Sinodo un pò tarrocato” by Marco Tosatti, La Stampa, 15 October 2014
- “Evidence Emerges of an Engineered Synod“, Edward Pentin, National Catholic Register, 15 October 2014
- “On the chaos surrounding the Synod in Rome“, Deacon Nick Donnelly, Catholic Voice, 15 October 2014
- “The handling of this Synod has been a shambles.” Madeleine Teahan, associate editor, Catholic Herald, via Twitter, 15 October 2014
- “The Synod of Confusion“, George Neumayr, American Spectator, 14 October 2014
About Voice of the Family:
Voice of the Family can be contacted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on +39 33 833 09443 (Italian mobile) or +44 (0)20 7820 3148 (UK landline)
Follow Voice of the Family via:
Voice of the Family is an international lay coalition of major pro-life and pro-family organizations that has formed to offer expertise and resources to leaders of the church, the media, NGOs, and governments before, during, and after the Catholic Church’s Synod on the Family. The Synod will be held from October 5 to 19 in Rome.
Voice of the Family consists of 18 member organizations from nine nations on five continents. Members include:
- Alfa Szövetség/Alpha Alliance
- Campagne Québec-Vie
- Campaign Life Catholics
- Campaign Life Coalition Canada
- Catholic Democrats
- Catholic Voice
- Culture of Life Africa
- European Life Network
- Famiglia Domani
- Family Life International NZ
- Hnutí Pro život ČR
- Human Life International (HLI)
- Liga pár páru ČR
- National Association of Catholic Families (NACF)
- Profesionales por la Ética
- Society for the Protection of Unborn Children (SPUC)
The following truths are at the heart of Voice of the Family’s work:
- Sacramental marriage, binding parents together in an indissoluble union, is the greatest protector of children both born and unborn.
- The artificial separation of the unitive and procreative dimensions of the sexual act is a major catalyst of the culture of death.
- Parents are the primary educators of their children and it is through the education and formation of parents, and future parents, that the culture of life will be built.
Voice of the Family has published a position paper for the Synod which in summary says:
- The Extraordinary Synod on the Family has been called to respond to the “widespread cultural, social and spiritual crisis”, which threatens the family today.
- The Synod provides an important opportunity to take concrete steps to address this crisis and give renewed impetus to the “New Evangelisation”.
- If the Synod is to be effective it is essential that the teaching of the Church is affirmed clearly and without ambiguity.
- All proposals which result from the Synod must be founded on the truths of the natural moral law and Divine Revelation.
Our position paper can also be read in: